Saturday 8 March 2014

Waje hopes for national award

This is really Waje’s time. The singer is going places, winning awards and getting more fans endeared to her. No wonder she was among the selected musicians that performed at the centenary awards in Abuja recently.

She said she would not forget the centenary show in a long while, claiming her performance brought tears to the eyes of the past heads of state.

“It was an incredible night for me. I received kind words of encouragement. There were heads of government telling me that I brought tears to their eyes with my songs. They said I made them to believe in the oneness of Nigeria again. It was unbelievable,” Waje said.

The award winning singer said that she did not know why or how she was picked but was grateful for the selection.

She said, “I just got the call and the details about performing at the event. The process of choosing who to honour with the opportunity is out of my jurisdiction, I’m sure they had their methods of choosing and the criteria for their choice but I am very grateful for being chosen.

“The part I found very remarkable is that I grew up seeing these faces on the television and newspapers as rulers of our nation. All of a sudden, I was there singing in their presence. As Timi Dakolo and I sang Great Nation, it was a moment of expressing love for Nigeria. At that moment, it was pure passion for our country. Performing for those dignitaries brought a feeling of oneness to me as we were all present there celebrating how far Nigeria had come and how much more we will stand for.”

The diva hopes she would not only perform at such event but would also be conferred with an award for being a great ambassador of the country.

“I certainly hope one day I would be conferred with such award. Hope should be the word. So I hope that someday, I would be conferred with a special recognition as well,” Waje said.

No comments:

Post a Comment